Men jailed for bashing footy fans in Melbourne street after AFL game

Men jailed for bashing footy fans in Melbourne street after AFL game


October 22, 2019 11:45:18

Three men, including two sons of a prominent Melbourne barrister, have been jailed for a drunken attack on two men near the MCG after an AFL match.

Dominic Walker was jailed for a year, Sam Walker was sentenced to six months and Benjamin Fitt was sentenced to four months over the attack after a Richmond vs Hawthorn match in September last year.

Video showed the victims, Leonard Tricario and David Raeside, being repeatedly kicked and punched as they lay on the ground in Wellington Parade

The men all pleaded guilty to intentionally causing injury, and their lawyers made a last-ditch bid to convince the magistrate not to send them to jail.

The Walker brothers are the sons of Tim Walker QC.

Magistrate Duncan Reynolds said the “sustained attack”, which took about 45 seconds, happened just after midnight after “some sort of confrontation”.

The men lashed out in a “gross and unjustifiable” way towards the victims, he said.

Magistrate Reynolds said the victims, who were also drunk at the time, suffered “significant physical injuries” and the crime was having an “ongoing impact” on their lives.

He said he accepted the attackers were genuinely remorseful and a considerable number of character references suggested the bashing was an “aberration”.

The court heard both Dominic Walker, 28, and Sam Walker, 25, had a history of alcohol and drug abuse.

Fitt, 25, experienced depressive mood disturbance and alcohol-related mood issues, the court heard.

Concerns were raised in court that Fitt’s mental health may deteriorate in jail.

The magistrate said all of the men had “conscientiously” taken part in treatment for their issues.

He said each participated to varying degrees in the assaults.

The courtroom was packed for the sentence.

Family and friends of the attackers cried and hugged each other, including Mr Walker QC, after the men were directed into the dock and through a door into custody.

Under the terms of a two-year community corrections order, each of the men will be supervised by Corrections on their release from jail.

When they are released, they all face a one-year ban on entering a licensed venue.








First posted

October 22, 2019 11:16:09